Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ooooops!!!


Have you ever had one of those "ooops" moments in a foreign country or in trying to pronounce a word not of your own language?

You know - you are trying to call someone Peter in Spanish and you call them a dog or worse, a fart? All three words, at least to me, sound somewhat similar.

A few days ago I met a woman named Zeynep. When I meet her she flexed her muscles and said in her best english,"the warrior queen." There was, maybe is, a show on TV called "Zeena the Warrior Queen." She was helping me remember her name.

Later in the afternoon, I wanted to impress her that I remembered her name. I shouted out "Zina, Zina!" Rodney, the worker with whom I am staying said, "Don't say that!" He was very emphatic.

"Why not? That is her name, she told me."

"No, her name is Zeynep, but you are shouting "adultery, adultery!"

Ooooops

2 comments:

  1. It was xena warrior princess......not that it matters much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be interesting for them to watch our TV show… wonder if it would be hard to watch because the name would be so distracting?

    Very funny though… made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete